Total Pageviews

Monday, February 7, 2011

Feburary 7th: The Super Bowl and The Green River Killer

I know what you may be thinking, no the Super Bowl and the Green River killer have nothing in common. That being said, I hope everyone had a good week and lets get into some news, or sort of news in our case. Before I start I'd like to give a shout out to my friend and former roommate Justin Belanger. He's currently somewhere in Missouri participating in basic training for the national guard. I saw pictures of him and his battalion and that was a nice treat. So to Justin and the rest of the Charlie 795th Police Battalion (The Comanches), good luck with the rest of your training and Justin we're throwing you a huge welcome home party this summer, get ready for it!
To keep you updated on the Egypt situation, anti-government protesters formed a giant human chain in Cairo's Tahrir Square, a major town square in Cairo. They aren't planning on moving until Mubarak is out of office. Some of the photos were quite interesting. One such photo was one of a man who was an anti-government protester, he was guarding the barricade at Tahrir Square wearing a plastic bowl as a helmet. You can tell that they were really well equipped when they have to resort to wearing plastic bowls. How can you take them seriously? You know who else wears plastic bowls on their heads? Kids playing fort. Does anyone else remember playing fort? Ahh...good times.
On to the Green River Killer. As you may know, Gary Ridgeway or the "Green River Killer" was a notorious serial killer who murdered nearly 50 women in the Washington State area throughout the 1970, 80's and 90's. He is now being convicted of his 49th murder. He was not executed due to making a deal after he was initially charged with the murders of four women. The deal was if he confessed to concurrent murders, he would not receive the death penalty, instead he would receive life in prison with no parole. He is now about to be charged with a 49th consecutive life sentence. This is what I never understood about our justice system. I'm against capital punishment but what is with these consecutive life sentences. The guy already has no possibility of parole. I guess it's a way for the families of the victims to have some sort of justice even though it's basically beating a dead horse.
So the Super Bowl in my opinion was kind of a disappointment compared to past ones. The game started out rather slow but at least it picked up towards the end. However the almost climactic ending was shattered when Ben Roethlisberger threw an incomplete pass to Mike Wallace to turn the ball over on downs with less than a minute to go when the Steelers were trailing by 6 points, 25-31. Not only was the game anti-climactic but the commercials were sub-par. I expected at least 1 or 2 good Bud Light commercials but I didn't get any. The only memorable one that I found hilarious was the Teleflora one. I'm not going to get into detail in this blog because that would just ruin the commercial for those who didn't see it or didn't remember it. If you want to watch it, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGBkT-fHMI.
Now the biggest moment of the night, the halftime show. The Black Eyed Peas headlined with cameo appearances by Usher and Slash. I'll give the show an A for the lighting, the dancing, and the  ridiculously funny costumes the Peas were dressed in. Their actual performance I'll give a C, as it was pretty much what I expected from a group like the Black Eyed Peas. However Fergie's cover of "Sweet Child o' Mine" should of never happened. It was a travesty. Fergie isn't a bad singer but she sounded terrible singing that song, which is a classic. Slash came in with a guitar cameo and sounded awesome, however he looked a little robotic. Fergie was also using him as a human strip pole which also didn't help. Was anyone else rooting for a Fergie "wardrobe malfunction"?
That's all I got for this week. I'll be back next week with some stuff that most people probably don't care about. In the words of the great Ron Burgundy "You stay classy Planet Earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment