Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 16th: Valentine's Day and Bieber Losing

Good afternoon ladies and gents, hope everyone's week is going well. I know this is a few days later than I usually blog but I figured I'd post something in lieu of studying for a test I have tomorrow. Some interesting things going on this past week include the ousting of Mubarak, Justin Bieber losing best new artist, and the ever dreaded Valentine's day. So, has anyone tried to study for a test for a class they know nothing about? I attended every class but one this semester yet I know little about it. I usually screw around on facebook or nfl.com and the professors dry teaching style doesn't really help either. This week's shout out goes to my boss, Jodi Munster for giving me tonight off so I can study for my test. Enough about my boring life, let's get in to some sort of news.
Last week Hosini Mubarak finally resigned as the president of Egypt after a largely peaceful revolution started on Facebook and Twitter. Finally these pointless wastes of time were used for something constructive. For now the military is under control until the Egyptians can hold a democratic election. Something tells me they are far from accomplishing democracy, but good for them.
This past Monday was everyone's favorite holiday of the year, Valentine's day. If you didn't sense my sarcasm in that last sentence, please go take an IQ test. Anyways, my valentine's day was spent working, attempting to study and playing video games. It's probably the most depressing time of the year for anyone who doesn't have a significant other and it's even annoying for those who do have one. It's a stupid, commercialized holiday that we Americans take way out of proportion. Do you know what Valentine's day is really celebrating? The clubbing and beheading of St. Valentine, a Catholic priest in Rome who performed illegal marriages for young couples. Yeah, that's right, think about that when you're having a romantic dinner with your loved one after buying them an expensive, meaningless present.
Sunday night was the 53rd annual Grammy awards. I'll be honest and say I don't really care about the Grammys but the news I heard the next day made my week. Justin Bieber, who is perhaps the most overrated, annoying human being on this planet lost the best new artist award to a relatively unknown woman, Esperanza Spalding. Of course this generated much negative tension among the Bieber worshiping community consisting of 12 to 16 year old girls. Look at his video for "Baby" on Youtube, it has more dislikes than likes. Not only that but he is referenced in a negative way in almost every single music video under comments. When is this little kid going to realize that no one likes him and he's better off doing finger painting in grade school. How old is he? 12? 13? Who knows. But what I do know is I may listen to this Esperanza Spalding just because she beat Bieber.
Not much is going on in the NFL as of late. They still haven't reached a new labor agreement and if they don't by the beginning of March, there might not be football next season, which could be devastating. At least I got my Red Sox coming up in the spring and the Celtics who are doing pretty well, but even those two sports don't come close to football for me.
Well, that's all I have for this week. I think I'm going to attempt to study for this test but probably fail miserably. In the words of the great Ron Burgundy, "You stay classy, Planet Earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment